See current severe weather alerts.
Get commuter and severe weather updates via e-mail or SMS text message
Sunrise & sunset
Moonrise & moonset
- Kansas sees lowest tornado total in 25 years
- December 29, 2014
- Kansas officials say the state saw the lowest number of tornadoes this year in 25 years.
- Q&A: Drones might help explain how tornadoes form
- December 18, 2014
- Researchers say they have collected promising weather data by flying instrument-laden drones into big Western and Midwestern storms. Now, they want to expand the project in hopes of learning more about how tornadoes form.
- National Weather Service issues tornado watch, other advisories
- March 27, 2014
- In like a lion and out like a lion?
- Tonganoxie Phil: Early spring is on its way
- February 4, 2014
- Longtime physician by day, weather prognosticator by morning. Dr. Phil Stevens has been practicing medicine at the same office in downtown Tonganoxie for more than 58 years.
- Severe thunderstorm watch in effect until midnight for area counties
- March 28, 2012
- The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm watch that’s in effect until midnight for Johnson, Wyandotte, Leavenworth, Jefferson and Douglas counties.
- Tornado watch issued for Douglas, Franklin and Jefferson counties
- February 28, 2012
- The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for Douglas, Franklin and Jefferson counties. It is in effect until 1 a.m. Wednesday.
- Ozone alert in effect Tuesday in metro KC
- August 1, 2011
- The prospect of unhealthy levels of smog today has prompted officials to issue an orange Ozone Alert for the entire metropolitan Kansas City area.
- NWS warns: Weekend will be hot
- July 14, 2011
- Temperatures during the weekend heat watch could reach as high as 100 degrees. Factoring in humidity, heat indices will be between 105 and 110 degrees.
- Ozone alert in effect today in metro KC
- June 6, 2011
- An unhealthy level of ground-level ozone, also known as smog, is expected in the Kansas City region.
- Disaster officials urge Kansans to prepare for tornadoes
- May 24, 2011
- Despite living in the Midwest, where tornadoes frequently threaten the spring and early-summer weather, relatively few Kansas residents actually have a home tornado plan or disaster supply kit in place, according to the Red Cross.