Northwest Consolidate Fire District issues burn ban, effective immediately
The Northwest Consolidated Fire District has issued a complete burn ban for its service area, effective immediately and in place until further notice.
The ban was announced in a press release from Operations Chief Mark BIllquist, who said the primary concern behind the ban is increasing dry conditions.
"The prolonged heat we've had the past week or so is just drying out the grass to an extreme," he said. "We've already seen a few recent fires that were difficult to extinguish and that just got out of control in a hurry."
According to the release, the following activities are prohibited outdoors while the ban is in effect:
- Careless use and disposal of smoking materials, including cigarettes, cigars and pipes.
- Building, maintaining, attending or using open fires or campfires, except in permanent stoves, fireplaces, or barbecue grills in developed recreational areas or on residential sites.
- Burning of fencerows, fields, wild lands, trash or debris.
Fire officials say the ban will be in effect until further notice or at least until Aug. 4 when the Johnson County Commission is set to discuss a county-wide ban, barring a relief from the dry conditions and heat. The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning for Johnson County through Thursday evening.