Also from August 22
- Food: Fresh recipes bring apples out of autumn, into August
- August 22, 2012
- Apples may be early this year, but there’s no reason to rush these fall favorites into their signature cool-weather dishes. Chilled desserts and bright ingredients help bring apples out of autumn and into the light lunches, cookouts and 90-degree days of August.
- Food: Apple crops arrive early, but drought makes for dicey harvest
- August 22, 2012 in print edition on A11
- With many buyers just beginning to realize it’s apple time, Ernie Richardson’s Gala crop has already come and gone. Following the lead of early summer stone fruits and most other produce this year, northeast Kansas apples are arriving one to four weeks early. The size and quality of early crops also varies.