School board hopefuls add names to ballot for upcoming election
With the deadline fast approaching, a mix of incumbents and newcomers — including a former area mayor — have filed to run for the Shawnee Mission USD 512 and De Soto USD 232 boards of education.
Primary elections, if needed, would be March 1.
The general election is April 5.
Winners will take office this summer and serve four-years, with the exception of one unexpired term on the De Soto school board.
Residents who want to run for office in this spring’s election must file by noon Tuesday at the Johnson County Election Office, 2101 E. Kansas City Road in Olathe. See jocoelection.org for more election information.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the election office had received the following candidate filings.
Shawnee Mission USD 512
Several new, or at least new to the school board, faces have filed for seats in the Shawnee Mission district.
• Timothy A. Doerr of Mission and Sara D. Goodburn of Roeland Park have filed for the Position 1, or North area, seat vacated Jan. 3 by Susan Metsker.
Metsker resigned from the school board to take a full-time on the staff of Kevin Yoder, U.S. House of Representatives from Kansas’ 3rd Congressional District. The seat is expected to remain open until after the April election.
• Incumbent Patty Mach of Shawnee has filed to retain her Position 5, or Northwest area, seat on the school board.
• Fairway resident John W. St. Clair Jr., formerly the mayor of that city, has filed for the Position 7 seat, an at-large position.
• For voting areas outside of Shawnee, incumbent Deb Zila and challenger Lani Kirsch, both of Overland Park, have filed to run for the Position 3, or South area, seat. No one had filed for Position 2, East area, or Position 4, West area.
De Soto USD 232
De Soto’s lineup so far includes three current board members, two of whom are seeking re-election to different seats on the board.
In December 2008 the board approved reorganizing the district’s voting boundaries, meaning some members seeking re-election must now run for different positions, said Alvie Cater, director of administrative services and community relations.
• William “Bill” Fletcher of De Soto has filed for the Position 1 seat, which covers De Soto and far western Shawnee. Fletcher currently holds the board’s Position 3 seat.
• Incumbent Dick Dearwester of Shawnee has filed to keep his Position 5 seat, which covers the northeast portion of the district, in Shawnee.
The school board in November appointed Dearwester to fill the seat vacated by Janine Gracy, who moved to Colorado after her husband accepted a job there. The winner of April’s election will determine who will serve out the remaining two years of Gracy’s unexpired term.
• Tim Blankenship of De Soto has filed to run for the Position 7 seat, an at-large position. Blankenship currently occupies the Position 1 seat on the school board and serves as board president.
• No one had filed for De Soto’s Position 2 or Position 3 seats as of presstime.