DHS Band No. ‘I’
April has been a good month for the De Soto High School band.
On April 10, 19 soloist and eight small instrumental ensembles made their way to the Kansas State High School Activities Association’s regional solo and ensemble festival at Baker University.
Daniel Freeman, DHS band director, said 17 soloists and seven of the ensembles earned “I” rating and will advance to the KSHSAA 4A State Solo and Ensemble Festival, April 24, at Andover High School.
Not only that, on Wednesday, the school’s concert band and symphonic band also earned “I” ratings at the KSHSAA State Large Group Music Contest at Gardner-Edgerton High School.
Freeman said the judging was stiff, but the DHS bands were two of a very select few bands who earned the top rating that day.
The soloists who earned a “I” rating were:
• Cody Bennett, junior, bass clarinet
• Rhiannon Caldwell, freshman, flute
• Emily Churchwell, freshman, flute
• Dylan Foster, freshman, trumpet
• Aaron Garza, sophomore, baritone saxophone
• Jonny Hodges, freshman, trombone
• Stephanie Hopkins, senior, clarinet
• Philip Kaul, sophomore, alto saxophone
• Grace Kim, sophomore, flute
• Katie McKeirnan, junior, clarinet
• Andy Rhodes, senior, baritone saxophone
• Parker Riley, sophomore, alto saxophone
• Tessa Scott, sophomore, flute
• Derek Smith, senior, tuba
• Tommy Strauser, junior, tenor saxophone
• Tommy Strauser, junior, flute
• Sophia Young, senior, French horn
The ensembles with “I” ratings were:
• Brass sextet (Clinton Hale, Hayden Abbott, Tyler Berg, Kyndel Reeves, Derek Smith, Alex Crall)
• Brass choir (Tyler Berg, Dylan Foster, Kyndel Reeves, Hayden Abbott, Clinton Hale, Sophia Young, Chelsea Bledsoe, Alex Crall, Jaxon Hargrove, Jonny Hodges, Joe Dvorak, Derek Smith)
• Flute quintet (Tessa Scott, Rhiannon Caldwell, Emily Churchwell, Hannah Stevens, Lauren Darter)
• Flute quartet (Tommy Strauser, Tessa Scott, Rhiannon Caldwell, Grace Kim)
• Clarinet choir (Katie McKiernan, Joseph Buery, Owen Moore, Stephanie Chappell, Marisa Jarboe, Becca Roberts, Brianna Rodgers, Andy Rhodes)
• Saxophone quartet (Philip Kaul, Parker Riley, Tommy Strauser, Andy Rhodes)
• Clarinet trio (Katie McKeirnan, Becca Roberts, Marisa Jarboe)
Freeman cordially invites everyone to come out and enjoy the band’s remaining performances.
• Saturday, April 24, State Solo and Ensemble Festival, all day, Andover High School, Andover.
• Wednesday, May 5, DHS Band’s annual spring concert and senior recognition night, DHS Gym. Performance will feature both the concert and symphonic bands, the percussion ensembles, the jazz band, and possibly more.
For Full Details, including performance schedules and times, visit www.usd232.org/wildcatbands