OLATHE, Kan. — Johnson County K-State Research and Extension had its council elections Oct. 8. Twelve Johnson County residents were elected to serve two-year terms. They will serve alongside the 12 returning council members to form the 24-member Extension Council.
Newly elected council members for 2010 – 2011 are:
• Agriculture and Natural Resources: Larry Dolci, Overland Park; Pete Goetzmann, Gardner; and Jim Schroer, Overland Park.
• Family and Consumer Sciences: Linda Marie Golden, Gardner; Robyn Stuewe, Olathe; and Jessica Welch, Overland Park.
• Youth Development and 4-H: Patty Gay, Gardner; Martha Powell, Spring Hill; and Karen Zimmerman, De Soto.
• Community Development: Doug Brensing, Lenexa; Larry Justice, Olathe; and Ray Stolhand, Overland Park.
Council members returning to fulfill their term commitment through 2010 are:
• Agriculture and Natural Resources: Ted Guetterman, Bucyrus; Tim Schaid, Olathe; and Barry Zimmerman, De Soto.
• Family and Consumer Sciences: Fred Overton, Leawood; Lucretia Swanson, Olathe; and Karina Fugett, Olathe.
• Youth Development and 4-H: Earl Allen, Jr., Gardner; Denise King, De Soto; and Matthew Meek, Spring Hill.
• Community Development: Michele Janson, Overland Park; Michael Kenny, Overland Park; and Zeny Bustillo-Schmidt, Lenexa.
Each of Extension’s four program areas are lead by a Program Development Committee (PDC). Six members are elected to serve on each PDC. Each PDC works with their agent/s to develop and deliver educational programming that meets the needs of Johnson County residents. Programming includes classes, workshops, county fair, etc.
The Extension Council represents Johnson County. They are the “voice” of the community, giving the agents and Extension director feedback and guidance. Members are business people, farmers, homemakers, teachers, etc, and have an interest in Extension.
During Extension’s Annual Meeting, held October 27, nine members were elected from the 24-member Extension Council to serve on the board. Elected to the board were: Michele Janson, Chair; Larry Dolci, Vice-chair; Jessica Welch, Secretary; Michael Kenny, Treasurer; and at-large: Tim Schaid; Barry Zimmerman; Fred Overton; Earl Allen, Jr; and Denise King.
The nine member board is the governing body that decides policy for Johnson County Extension. Monthly board meetings are open to the public and are held at the Johnson County Extension office at 11811 South Sunset Drive, Suite 1500, in Olathe. For more information, please contact the Extension office at (913) 715-7000, or visit johnson.ksu.edu