The De Soto United Methodist Church Women who help stock the food pantry at the De Soto Multi-Service Center are much appreciated by director Jodi Hitchcock.
• The De Soto United Methodist Church is having appreciation day Oct. 25 for The Rev. Jerry Vaughn. There will be finger food to share after the service. His wife, Jan, will be honored, too, and there will be a basket in which cards of appreciation can be left.
• The De Soto United Methodist Church will have Halloween Party for Sunday school students from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Oct. 25. Donations of toys, juice, dessert and other items can be left in the box in the narthex.
• From 8 a.m. to noon this Sunday, Larry Cox will be taking photos for the UMC directory. To schedule another time for photos, call Brenda Crisco at (913) 461-6075.
• The De Soto Baptist Church yard sale went well and God answered my prayers to hold off rain. We are preparing for the citywide garage sale Saturday at my home with many items. So come by.
• The De Soto ABW met Monday with Richelle Hodges and Mary Jo McDaniels as hostesses.
• At 7 p.m. Monday, the Doers of the Word Bible Study and Prayer Group will meet in the De Soto Baptist Church Fellowship Hall.
• Among those celebrating birthdays this week are Ron Crow Jr., Shelly Canaan, Vonnie Steele, Roy Skaggs, Lyn Bedforde, Earl Barenklau, Peggy Buelher, Ashley Plummer, Michelle Riffel, Megan Bedford, Larry Buckler, Doug Tiedeman, Helen Barthol, Brenda West, Terry Rhodes, Ashley Frieling, Kelly Mercer, Billie Boyd, Chad Hayden, Julie Beck, my friend Ruth Matzkus who lives in the Sharan Lane Nursing Home, my grandson Jason Chandler who is in the military, and my sister-in-law Beulah Bowen of California.
• Those celebrating anniversaries this week are Ron and Lisa Schmucker, Larry and Mary Cox, Larry and Cheryl Towner and James and Holly Balch.
• The Sewing for Others Group has more than 50 lap robes for various nursing homes, children's wards, veterans and others with needs. Last week, they didn't have anyone to run the sewing machine and need others to attend their gatherings at 1 p.m. the first and third Tuesday of each month at the De Soto Baptist Church.
• Those on the sick list this week are Laura Long, who had a stroke and is in the Olathe Medical Center, George Anna Taylor, who is in St. Joseph's Hospital after a car accident, virginia Sims had back surgery, and Betty O'Del;l, who also is in Olathe Medical Center. Also Sydney Love, the baby daughter of Justin and Bee Love, needs our prayers.
• My son Edwin called Sunday from Dallas and said he attended a church in Dover, N.H., that was 220 years old. He said he had a great two weeks on the East Coast. My son Michael called to say he was busy selling furniture and wanted to sell furniture at the yard sale with Paul Pingleton as the auctioneer.