USD 232 board extends Wimmer’s contract
Interim Superintendent Ron Wimmer will be roaming the halls in the De Soto School District for another year.
The USD 232 Board of Education extended Wimmer’s contract for an additional year, through the 2010-2011 school year.
Wimmer, who had retired in 2005 after leading Olathe USD 233 for 14 years, became the interim superintendent in May after Superintendent Sharon Zoellner resigned to take over Louisburg USD 416.
Wimmer’s contract for 2010-’11 will remain the same as his current agreement with the district: a base salary of $166,000, along with $500 per month for health and dental coverage. Wimmer is entitled to 25 days of annual leave, as well as sick time. The contract also states that Wimmer will receive $16,000 toward an annuity of his choice.
Talks to extend Wimmer’s contract began a few weeks ago, Wimmer said.
“When it came time to discuss the superintendent search process, I wanted to delay that discussion until after school started so we could focus on opening the schools,” he said. “I asked the board to delay the discussion until October. And then I discussed the extension with board president Tim Blankenship and vice president Tammy Thomas.”
Wimmer said the people in the district were the primary reason he decided to stay another year.
“I really enjoy my time here. I feel very comfortable, and the people have been welcoming and supportive,” he said.
As for the future, Wimmer said he would take things one year at a time.
In other action Tuesday the board:
• Approved the naming for the district’s seventh elementary school. Belmont Elementary School, at 58th and Belmont streets in Shawnee, is slated to open in August 2010.
Students from Mize Elementary will gather suggestions for a school mascot and colors. The board should receive a recommendation for colors and mascot in December.
• Approved the eFunds Online Fee Pay System for the district. The system allows parents to pay lunch fees and other school related fees online. The system offers patrons the opportunity us electronic checking for a fee of $1 per transaction or use debit or credit cards for a fee of $1.99 per transaction.
• Approved a three-year contract with IronPort Web Filtering Solution to provide web content filtering for the district. The three-year contract will cost the district $38,723. The current filtering solution, WebSense costs the district $69,000.
• Approved a consultant agreement for English as a second language services at Starside Elementary. The consultant will work with the district and Starside to conduct a needs assessment and develop strategic plans to address needs of ESL students.
The board approved hiring Karen Jorgenson as the consultant for the 2009-2010 school year.
• Approved a contract provision for a teacher of the deaf and hard of hearing for the district. Currently the district has 15 students with hearing loss. Jean Leiker will provide consultation and some direct services to students with hearing loss. The short-term contract, ending in December, gives the district time to explore the needs of these students, said Joan Robbins, director of special services.