The De Soto United Methodist Church is asking for donations of wrapped candy, Easter eggs or tiny toys for its Easter egg hunt. Donations can be placed in the east box of the narthex.
• The De Soto United Methodist Church Women are still looking for names of children 3 years of age and older who are in need of a Bible. Those with names are asked to call Lisa Carpenter at (913) 610-1806 with the exact spelling so that it can be printed in the Bible that is presented on graduation Sunday.
• Rick Walker was the worship leader Sunday at the De Soto Baptist Church. He did an outstanding solo, which was well received.
• The De Soto Baptist Church had many visitors Sunday. The Montgalls had two of their children home for the week and will be able to help their father celebrate his birthday. The Rev. Richard Copleland read a thank you note from the Beck family for the prayers and flowers for the death of her father.
• On the sick list this week is Pat Weese, who is in rehabilitation at Royal Terrace. Atropia Rye is having health issues and needs our prayers. Marilyn Edgerton is to have surgery. My 11-year-old great-nephew Thomas Freeman (Kevin’s son) had spinal surgery last week at Columbia, Mo., but is now home and the doctor said doing great. But he can’t play basketball or football. My sister-in-law Emmaline’s husband is still in St. John’s Hospital in Springfield, Mo. He is able to walk to the bathroom and the hall door.
• Among those having birthdays this week are Julie Rains, Anita Harris, Sophia Slitor, Luile Welch, Jay Rains, Dan McMillen, Bob Thomas, Carol Rile, Sally Bedford, Jana Calkins, Bertitte Bicklemeyer, Debbie Miller, Ronnie McDaniel, Joann Mizell, Betty Mason, Roland Ohrenber, Thelma McCaslin, Nadine Dean, Nathan Cardiff, Don Gribben, Freda Anderson, Doug Opdyckek Mark Coatney, Mike Montgall, Derrick McAninch, Olivia Miley, Rick McAninch and my daughter-in-law Nancy Nalley of Illinois.
• The deadline to register to vote in the city/school district general election is March 23. The election will be April 7. Advance voting beings March 24. Registered voters can vote in advance from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Sundays at the Johnson County Election Office in Olathe. The deadline to make application for mail-in ballots is 5 p.m. April 3.
• The Willow Springs F.C.E. will have a candidate forum from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, March 29, at the Senior Center and De Soto City Hall. Candidates participating include those running for De Soto mayor, the De Soto City Council and three De Soto USD 232 Board of Education seats. Every candidate will be given five minutes to explain why he or she is running.
• The Willow Springs F.C.E. will meet Wednesday for a lesson on Using Hands given by the Johnson County Extension.
• The De Soto Multi-Service Center needs this week is for macaroni and cheese, The need next week in Ravioli. Paper goods and baby items are always needed.
• Reba Barola and her husband recently flew to Hawaii, from where they took a cruise. She said they saw many wonderful sights, but was glad to be home.
• The celebration of Lucille Welch’s 97th birthday Sunday afternoon was a great tribute to the lively lady. The turnout was great and all the tables were full. The cakes, punch, candies and nuts were delicious and the decorations were outstanding. I saw many, many friends I had not seen in a long time.
• My son Edwin told me during our weekly phone conversation that he attended grandparents’ day Saturday at his granddaughter Lisa’s school. He said she received high marks in her subjects.
My 15-year-old great grandson Marty Nalley (Michael’s grandson) is in a hockey competition in Phoenix, Ariz. My granddaughter Michelle and her husband Ralph Frohling of Oklahoma are having an anniversary this week.