The De Soto United Methodist Church Women is having U.M.C. Sunday at the 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. services Sunday. Pam Harris will be the guest speaker with the topic “The God of the Manger” and “King of the Last, the Least and the Lost.” She is a physician who worked with the Kansas City Veterans’ Administration and Kansas City Hospice. She has made two trips to Africa.
• The De Soto United Methodist Church is having a “Kiss a Pig Contest,” which will run through the Lenten season. Church youth and their leaders have jars in the narthex in which money can be placed. The individual who collects the most money will kiss a pig with the winner announced at Easter sunrise service.
• Jeff Hodges led the youth and adults who filled the choir loft Sunday at the De Soto Baptist Church. They sang several beautiful specials.
• The De Soto Baptist Church Women will meet Monday and will have its White Elephant Silent Auction.
The need this week at the De Soto Multi-Service Center is canned soup and next week is cereal. There is always a need for paper goods and baby items.
• Mr. and Mrs. Jeff Coatney shared the news with the Baptist Church recently of the engagement of Mark Coatney. Wedding plans are to come.
• Saturday’s snow didn’t ruin the success of the Bingo fundraiser for the girls going to Europe to play volleyball. The organizers thank all for their support of the event at the De Soto VFW.
• I wish to thank the The De Soto United Methodist Church Women for the sack of Valentine’s Day goodies Mary Plummer brought me. I can use everything in the sack and much appreciate it.
• My great grandson Hayden is involved in baseball practice and wrestling is over. They are practicing indoors at Between the Lines and the De Soto High School team’s tryouts were Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Among those celebrating birthdays this week are Amanda Plummer, Austin Wilhite, Grace Mefford, Bryan Cahoone, Annie Schmucker, Darlene Bedford, Myrtle Coker, Kelli Ellenberger, Nick Taylor, Traci Griffin, Lucas Walker, Merle Couch and Bessie Weese, who is celebrating her 95th birthday.
• Those celebrating anniversaries include Larry and Donna Gulley, Danny and Linda Lane and Richard and Jean Epperson, who will have their 63rd anniversary.
• Those on the sick list this week include Mary Etta Copeland’s brother-in-law Bick Beytien, Larry West and the many who have the flu.
• Sympathy goes to the family of Becky Keeney on her death. She always passed on “Good Old Days” magazine to me.
• My son Edwin is taking his 9-year-old granddaughter Lisa to the Plano, Texas, Civic Center Saturday for the annual father.grandfather dance.
Edwin called Sunday with news his daughter Paige was having foot surgery the next day.