JoCo Olathe DMV office to be closed Friday for move
The Olathe office of the Division of Motor Vehicles is moving to a new location that’s only half a mile away.
The existing location at 1327A East Santa Fe Street will be closed Friday, Aug. 21. The opening at the new site at 782 North Ridgeview Road (southeast corner of Ridgeview and Kansas City roads) is tentatively scheduled for Monday, Aug, 24.
“We apologize for any inconvenience to our DMV customers,” Johnson County Deputy Treasurer Amy Meeker-Berg said. “We plan to redirect all DMV business to the county’s Mission Office at 6000 Lamar Avenue, which will accommodate our customers during our move in Olathe.”
DMV customers also can renew their registration and license plates through the Johnson County Treasurer’s Office Web site at http://treasurer.jocogov.org. The Web site also will provide updated information about relocation of the Olathe office and announce when the new site will be open to the public.
The move has been in the planning process for more than a month since the Johnson County Commission authorized a 10-year lease with KC Road Partners, LP, to relocate the DMV Office to the Heritage Crossing Retail Center. The new lease will lower lease costs starting immediately.
The new location is expected:
• to provide better access for residents coming from the 119th and 127th street areas and from Santa Fe Street by using Ridgeview Road;
• a newer place to do business with better energy efficiency, new exterior systems,
• improved signage that’s more visible from roadways;
• better customer service with improved customer waiting area and better security; and,
• ample parking with 88 more parking spaces.
The Olathe DMV Office only serves walk-in customers in the processing of license tag renewals, issuing motor vehicle and trailer titles, maintaining vehicle registration records, and licensing and monitoring Kansas vehicle dealers.