Archive for Thursday, March 6, 2008

Exploring the past

March 6, 2008

5 years ago


March 2003

De Soto freshman Neil Erisman was denied a perfect season and state championship when with eight seconds left in his match an official called him for stalling and awarded Colby's Eric Luedke a point, sending the match into overtime. Erisman's coach, Eric Deyoe, and the throng of De Soto supporters were stunned as Luedke went on to earn the 3-1 win with a takedown early in the overtime frame.

¢ The De Soto High School Marching Wildcats had two recent offers to play at distant events, high school instrumental teacher Justin Love told the De Soto USD 232 Board of Education. The band was invited to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas next New Year's Day and to a ceremony in France marking the 60th anniversary of D-Day.

"We've been successful in what we have been doing, and we've been noticed," Love told the board.

9 years ago


March 1999

Linda Zindler was the top vote-getter among the field of 10 candidates in the primary election for the De Soto City Council. Others moving on to the general election were Jim Cannon, Chuck Oswalt, Merle Couch and incumbents John D. Taylor and Brad Seaman.

¢ Winter Sports royalty were seniors James Eaton, Sissy Fletcher, Lindsey Gracy, Kevin Curry, Amanda Bledsoe and Andrew Lonard. Gracy and Curry were crowned queen and king.

¢ Four members of De Soto High school's wrestling team qualified for the 5A state wrestling tournament in Wichita: senior Chad Clarke (189 pounds), junior Josh Haub (160 pounds), sophomore Joey Wilson (103 pounds) and freshman Matt Hess (119 pounds). Haub finished sixth at the tournament.

20 years ago


March 1984

De Soto's girls led from start to finish, posting a 53-41 sub-state title game win over Spring Hills' Broncos at Prairie View. With the victory, De Soto (19-4) advanced to the 4A state tournament at Salina.

¢ Girls basketball coaches of the Kaw Valley League named the All League Team. Mary Beth Fisher, De Soto, was named to the first team.

¢ De Soto High School National Honor Society members for 1983-1984 were Lynette Broers, Amy Buckley, Brenda Buschow, Dana Chance, Margaret Freeman, David Hall, Jessica Hamilton, Michelle Howlett, Keri Korth, Shirley Kurtz, Stephanie Lauer, Babette Macy, Dickie Marx, Sherleen Melendres, Kristen Montgall, Tami Nelson, Michelle Roberts, Barbara Rycken, Mark Schnieders, Darrin Weimer, Michelle Zemites, Cindy Elliott, Matt Hauber, Pam Lister, Melissa Messer, Todd Proch, Kelly Page and Michelle Yates.

36 years ago


March 1968

Airman George F. Bass, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert C. Bass, completed basic training at Amarillo Air Force Base in Texas. He had been assigned to the Air Force Technical Training Center at the Defense Language Institute, Monterey, Calif., for specialized schooling as a language specialist. Airman Bass graduated from De Soto High School in 1967.

¢ Mr. and Mrs. Russell Reynolds made a flying trip to Fort Scott to welcome a new granddaughter, born to their son and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Tim Reynolds.

¢ Dee Richardson, accompanied by her daughter and son-in law Mr. and Mrs. Skaggs, motored to Iola on a business trip to dispose of some property belonging to her father, J.C. Tedrow, who was a patient in a hospital.

¢ Wilma Baker returned home after a few days visit with her sister and brother-in-law Mr. and Mrs. T.C. WeMott in Overland Park. She also visited her sister-in-law, Mrs. Otto Baker, who was a patient in the hospital there.

49 years ago


March 1955

Nellie Freeman, accompanied by her granddaughter Daisy Lamb, Olathe, made a trip to Kansas City.

¢ Mr. and Mrs. Paul Earnheart motored to St. Louis for the weekend where they visited their daughter Mrs. Kenneth Quinlan, and family.

¢ Mr. and Mrs. Charles Ross recently had the pleasure of spending several days with their son, Bruce and family at Lake Villa, Ill. Bruce was Navy training.

59 years ago


March 1945

Mrs. Louis Taylor was substituting for Mrs. Reese, whose husband was on furlough from the U.S. Navy.

¢ Mrs. Clarence Tripkos returned home from the hospital. She was being cared for by her sister, Beulah Wolfe. Her lungs were said to be clearing satisfactorily from the monoxide poisoning she suffered in her recent accident.

¢ Mrs. E.F. Bennett received a letter from Mrs. S.R. Randall telling of an illness that had overtaken her while visiting in California and which prevented her from returning to visit her son, Sgt. Horace Randall during his furlough.

76 years ago


March 1928

Floyd Lane was improving from a recent attack of pneumonia.

¢ Mrs. S.E. Winkleman, who lived north of Linwood, was operated on for gall stones at Wesley Hospital in Kansas City.

¢ Mrs. Lou Hiddleston, who had been spending the winter with relatives and friends at Summerfield, Ohio, was expected home soon.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.