Archive for Thursday, February 21, 2008

Exploring the past/De Soto history

February 21, 2008

5 years ago


February 2003

The U.S. Army released a preliminary finding of suitability for early transfer specific to a Kessinger/Hunter redevelopment proposal for the closed Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant, and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment made public a draft consent order listing the developer's responsibilities in the plant's environmental cleanup and financial guarantees need to make it happen.

¢ The De Soto USD 232 Board of Education members agreed to a proposed hike in school meal prices because the typical 5-cent school increase was not keeping up with rising expenses.

¢ De Soto City Clerk Lana McPherson was accepted as a member in the Master Municipal Academy Program of the International Institute of Municipal Clerks.

¢ It was announced that Dr. Dean Smith would join De Soto Family Practice on March 1.

¢ Paul Dechir graduated from boot camp at the Naval Training Center in Great Lakes, Ill.

35 years ago


February 1973

The De Soto City Council voted to annex about 20 acres of land on the city's northeast section, which included some residential property, the Santa Fe railroad station, and the De Soto grain elevator. The vote passed 2-1.

¢ The De Soto City Council named The De Soto News the city's official newspaper.

¢ A box of assorted Russell Stover candies sold for $2 at the De Soto Drug store for Valentine's Day.

¢ Ezra Chandler returned to the De Soto Rest Home after being in the Olathe hospital for tests. Helen Blaylock and Toodie Rogers visited Max Meinke. Laura Hibbard made a trip to the Olathe hospital for X-rays.

48 years ago


February 1960

Harriet Mize of Lawrence was a guest of her son Norbert and family. They attended the funeral of Mrs. Ray Mize at the Monticello Church.

¢ John McAninch of De Soto, who was a member of the Ottawa University basketball team, helped the Braves occupy second place in the Kansas conference.

¢ Nellie Dent was a dinner guest at a friend's house.

¢ Marjorie Cates, Virginia Osburn, Iris Randall, Vonnie Steele, Evelyn Hickman, Ruth Dicken, Edna Zellers, Myrtle Goodrum, George Randall and Hubert Osburn attended Eastern Start district meetings in Lawrence.

59 years ago


February 1949

Plans were under way for the construction of stone pillars at both entrances of the De Soto Cemetery.

¢ The Will Jewett farm southeast of town was sold to a couple from Kansas City. The farm had been operated by Mr. and Mrs. Warren Piper. The Pipers rented the farm vacated by the Art Cuthburtson family southeast of Cedar Junction.

¢ Walter Osborne, Fred Morse and Verne Thornton were making daily trips to Olathe to serve on the jury.

¢ Mr. and Mrs. Roy Zaring planned to open the Nickel-Inn north of the post office.

¢ The local KVX Service Station was robbed of $85 by three men who were later apprehended in Kansas City.

¢ Jake Schellack was able to be back at work in the News office following a week's absence while he was recuperating from a head injury received in a fall on the ice.

76 years ago


February 1932

High school students Norbert Mize, Alfred Gordon, Antone Nesselhuff, James Kilmer, Rudolph Miller, Waldo Cole, Dale Lawrence, Ray Steed, Theron Strickland, John Atkinson, Holley Noteman and Irwin Linden attended the Lumberman's convention at the Masonic Temple in Kansas City.

¢ Although it was locked, someone entered the chicken house at the John Martinson farm around midnight one night and stole about 50 Wyandotte hens.

¢ While Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Couch were in Lawrence one Sunday afternoon, the roof of their house caught fire. Because of the wind being in the north, the fire was kept under control. Sparks were thought to have started the fire.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.