Book review: The virgin of small plains
By Jane Rockhold
This Kansas "Notable Book" selection is set in mythical Small Plains, Kan., just west of Kansas City. It is another well-told tale by a local author.
An unsolved murder of "the Virgin" took place in 1987, and the events surrounding it transformed and almost stopped the lives of three families. Seventeen years later, Mitch, one of those whose life was changed forever, returns to Small Plains to find out the truth about why his parents sent him away when he was 18 and why they never wanted him to return. He left behind the love of his life and his best friend.
Can he learn the truth and get on with his life without destroying himself and those he loves?
This book and many others are available in both Spanish and English as well as book and audio form at the De Soto branch of the Johnson County Library. The book is also available on audio tape.
For more information, call the library at 583-3106.
More like this story
- First land bank lots from Fort Riley overbuilding to be sold
- Kansas lawmakers' tax plan makes numerous policy changes
- Kansas governor signs bill clarifying new property tax law
- Kansas lawmakers draft new plan to raise taxes to fix budget
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers