Archive for Thursday, January 4, 2007


January 4, 2007

Former De Soto resident Patty Neeland, who now lives in Pittsburg, with her husband, John, and her two children, called me Christmas night to ask about our Christmas and tell me about hers.
She said she is taking some classes for her state job of foster children care in 21 counties in Kansas.
She said she would be up to see her family here and would stop by to see me. She told me her brother Robert had gotten their former home painted.
My granddaughter Paige, who was visiting me from Texas, stayed from Christmas until Thursday evening. We got a "few" things done.
She visited the Kansas University campus again because she was a former student there. She also went to the movies with Debbie Chandler and Hayden.
Her uncle Jerry Nalley took her to the airport Thursday evening.
My three sisters-in-law are requesting prayers for their health problems.
The United Methodist Women at De Soto United Methodist Church will meet at 9 a.m. Jan. 13 in the fellowship hall at the church to make plans for 2007. They ask those who plan to attend to bring a snack to share. Childcare will be provided.
Volunteers are needed to help take down Christmas decorations at 7 p.m. Thursday at De Soto Baptist Church.
Communion will be offered Sunday at De Soto Baptist Church and the youth bell choir will practice at noon.
The Monday Bible group will meet at 6 p.m. Monday and the American Baptist Women will meet at 7 p.m. Monday with Ruby Nelson as the hostess. Both groups will meet at the church.
Sunday school classes at De Soto Baptist Church resume at 9:45 a.m. Sunday. Anyone not attending other Sunday school classes is invited to attend.
The Lagan family had a great Christmas with their family home. Gary and Bonnie's daughter Sheri came home from New York. She is going to a college in New Jersey. She has one more semester to attend and then has to teach for a period of time.
She has a job now as a "nanny." Her boss lady arranged for her to teach at the Hebrew Academy while the kids are in school. After that she should have her degree in early childhood education.
I'm so proud she is "going on" in education as I have several in my family who did the same.
Patti Rule called me recently. She inquired about my health and wished me a great Christmas and New Year.
Patti is the nurse who does blood pressure checks from 9 to 11:30 a.m. the fourth Monday of each month at the De Soto Multi-Service Center. There is no charge.
The need at the De Soto Multi-Service Center this week is canned whole kernel corn. Next week, the need is canned soups.
My dear friend Mary Alley came over Friday evening and brought me another whole roasted turkey. It was delicious. She also brought two large bags of caramel corn she had made.
She said she had taken down all her Christmas decorations.
We plan to start taking my down this week with help from my great-grandson Hayden. It is always a sad time for me to get it put away. We didn't have everything put out this year, as we couldn't find all of it. We didn't put up outside lights, either.
The De Soto Baptist Church served the funeral dinner for the Curtis Dabbs family following services.
Sympathy goes to the family of Viola Babbitt, who died recently. Viola worked at De Soto State Bank for many years before her retirement.
My son Michael and his wife, Linda, came to my house Saturday morning from Oklahoma City. They were unable to come at Christmas time. We had a good visit over the weekend.
After church services at the Baptist church, they took Jerry and his wife, Linda, Debbie and her grandson, Hayden, and myself out for dinner.
Michael and Linda also visited with his boyhood friend Gary Lucas and his wife and family in Lawrence. Gary has a furniture store there and recently opened one in Topeka. Michael sells his orthopedic bedding through Gary's stores.
Linda and Michael got some of my "honey dos" done for me. I always have a list.
Those celebrating birthdays this week include Conrad Courtney, Leona Hoover, Donna Flinn, Charlene Braley, Doug Weis, Molly Taylor, Jennifer Weese, my grandson Chris Chandler and myself. I will be 91.
Those celebrating anniversaries include Larry and Rosie Inman and Mark and Beth Schutte.
Jack and Mary Conrad, who celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on Dec. 29, had a great party. Their children and grandchildren hosted the event at the De Soto VFW. Many friends and relatives attended.
Frances Lawhead had a surprise 81st birthday party Dec. 31. Her children Anita Woywod and "Chic" Lawhead hosted it following Sunday's worship at De Soto Baptist Church. They invited the congregation to the fellowship hall for the celebration. We all sang "Happy Birthday" to her and birthday cake, punch and coffee was served. Many brought cards for her. She was completely surprised.
Harry Schultz had a quadruple bypass this last week at Olathe Medical Center. John "Boots" Cowan had a severe heart attack and was taken to Olathe Medical Center. Former De Soto resident Sharon Price, who now lives in Gardner, was also a patient at Olathe Medical Center with heart problems. John Berry and Dick McAninch had been in the Olathe Medical Center as well.
Beth Couch's mother is a patient at University of Kansas Medical Center and needs prayers. Sally Allen was a patient at Shawnee Mission Medical Center. She will have surgery for extended vein problems on her head this Tuesday. She also needs our prayers.
I appreciated the prayers I've had this past week on my right leg that got hurt Christmas Eve.
I have gone to the doctor twice this past week and they thought the wound was healing well. By the middle of this week, I may be able to leave it unbandaged during the daytime.
I also went to the doctor about my hand. They said I would not have to come back unless I had a problem and that I should wear the brace when I need it.
With all my company gone on New Year's Day, I got all my Christmas and tops and sweaters washed by Debbie. Now it's time to get the decorations put away.
My great-grandson Hayden went skiing for seven hours on New Year's Day.
When the Cokers called me Monday to wish me a "Happy New Year," Leon asked me if I was going to eat "black-eyed beans." I told him I had forgotten to have my daughter get any for me. I told him they would have to go to the store and get some for me since I couldn't walk that far with my walker.
In less than 30 minutes, my doorbell rang and there was Myrtle and Leon with a can of "black-eyed peas." I ate the whole can with cornbread muffins.
Talk about great friends to the rescue.
I will give the Cokers the credit when I have good luck days in 2007.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.