Minnie O. Wilson
Services for Minnie Opal Wilson, 95, Linwood, were Saturday, Aug. 18, at the Alden-Harrington Funeral Home in Bonner Springs. Burial was in the Mt. Sidney Cemetery near Linwood.
Mrs. Wilson died Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2007, at the Eudora Nursing Center.
She was born March 8, 1912, in the Burkett district near Hamilton, the daughter of John and Frances Laffoon Cummins. When she was 2, the family moved to Whitton, Mo. She attended grade school in Evona, Mo., and high school in Albany, Mo. The family moved back to Hamilton near the end of her senior year of high school and she graduated form Hamilton Rural High School in 1929. She moved to Linwood in 1932.
She married Harry Henderson Wilson on Nov. 2, 1935, in Topeka. He died on Feb. 22, 1974.
The Wilsons lived on farms west of Linwood and in 1941 moved to the home where she lived until she was 93, except for a time in the 1980s when she had an upholstery shop in Mullinville.
Mrs. Wilson was baptized into the Catholic Church in Norton in 1931. When she moved to Linwood in 1932, she became a member of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Tonganoxie, coming to Linwood as a domestic employee of the Levi Phinney family for whom she had worked in Norton.
She worked at Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant for the Hercules Powder Company during World War II; at the Nat Nast shirt factory in Bonner Springs; and at Allied Storage at Loring. She contracted for upholstery both in her home at Linwood and at her shop in Mullinville. She also sold Avon products for many years.
Mrs. Wilson was president of the Linwood Library Club when she led the campaign to raise funds, purchase land and build a library. She organized the Linwood Rural High School Alumni Association and was an active leader in the Deadwood Beavers 4-H Club. She was honored by the Linwood community for her years of community service and received the Ovid Snider Award in 1995.
In 1943, she was trained and certified for Red Cross Home Nursing and First Aid. She later taught Red Cross classes in Linwood, Lawrence, Bonner Springs, Tonganoxie and Haskell Institute.
Mrs. Wilson was a charter member of the Ladies Auxiliary 3119 Eagles Lodge in Bonner Springs and was a member of the Rebecca Lodge in Lawrence.
Survivors include two sons, James "Jim" Wilson, Athens, Ga., and Harvey "Joe" Wilson, Linwood; five grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren; three great-great-grandchildren; seven step great-grandchildren; and eight step great-great-grandchildren.
A great-great-grandson, Blake Buckler, preceded her in death as well as 14 siblings.
The family suggests memorials to the Linwood Library or to the building fund at Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Tonganoxie, sent in care of Alden-Harrington Funeral Home, 214 Oak St., Bonner Springs 66012.