Archive for Thursday, December 28, 2006

Road conditions available

December 28, 2006

The Kansas Department of Transportation encourages motorists to be prepared before hitting the road by obtaining winter road condition information.

The latest weather-related road conditions are available by calling 511, the Kansas Advanced Traveler Information System. By calling 511 from anywhere in Kansas or 1-866-511-KDOT (5368) from anywhere in the U.S., travelers can get route-specific road conditions, construction detours and travel weather information for Interstate, US and Kansas state highways, as well as Kansas Turnpike routes.

Road condition information is entered by KDOT crews across the state. With updated conditions available on 511 within 15 minutes, travelers can stay informed about changing conditions. Information is provided at all times and is free from a landline phone. For cellular phone users, cell minutes may apply, but no roaming fee should be involved.

If traveling for the holidays, Kansas 511 also provides similar information for Nebraska, and Nebraska 511 provides information for Kansas. Travelers may also access Colorado travel information by calling "511" from anywhere within Colorado. However, Colorado 511 is not accessible outside of the state. Kansas 511 provides phone numbers for callers to access road weather information in Missouri, Oklahoma and Colorado.

The latest information can be obtained by visiting the KDOT Web site at

You may also obtain the latest information by going to the KDOT website at or through KDOT's main Web site,, under "Road Conditions."

A statewide map shows weather-related information on primary routes in the state. To the left of the state map are links that will go to regional map information. The maps show more routes, including all Kansas, U.S. and Interstate designated routes in the region.

Specific information for the Kansas City metropolitan area can be accessed at A link is also provided from this site for statewide information under "Contacts and Links -- Transportation Links."

Motorists are also encouraged to watch for KDOT road crews and give them plenty of room to operate.

If motorist assistance is needed during travel, use a cellular phone and call *582 for assistance on the Kansas Turnpike Authority and *47 for assistance on all other highway routes.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.