Archive for Thursday, August 10, 2006

Exploring the Past/De Soto History

August 10, 2006

5 years ago
THE DE SOTO EXPLORER
August 2001
De Soto Community Officer Vernon Brown was chosen as grand marshal of the Watermelon Festival Parade.
¢ The De Soto City Council directed city staff to develop options for a new sales tax, which would be dedicated to new infrastructure improvements.
¢ De Soto High School sophomore Allyssa King was a candidate in the Miss 4-H Johnson County pageant.
¢ De Soto High School junior Jenica Thomas performed at the 28th Kansas Shrine Bowl in Manhattan. Thomas played horns for the 206-member Kansas Masonic All-State Marching Band during halftime, at a parade in downtown Manhattan and at the Shrine Bowl Banquet. Band members arrived in Manhattan July 24 for several days of practice.

27 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
August 1979
A fire gutted the house owned by Mr. and Mrs. James Davis at Cedar Junction. It was thought to be beyond repair.
It was the home of the village blacksmith, Nathan Glenn for some 20 years after the turn of the century. The Quinn family occupied the house before the Davises purchased it.
Arson was suspected as the cause of the fire.
¢ Ronald King, De Soto, was hired as an instrumental music teacher for both the elementary and secondary schools in Kensington.
¢ Rick Lewis left for San Diego to go to boot camp at Camp Pendleton.
¢ Sam and Polly Singer, who had owned and operated singer Suburban Hardware in De Soto for the past 27 years, sold the business to Franklin Associates Limited of Overland Park. The new name was De Soto Hardware and Supply.
Dick Granger, who had been employed by the Singers the past two years, and who had 30 years' experience in the hardware business was the manager of the store.

40 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
August 1966
Robert J. Hargrove resigned as pastor of De Soto Baptist Church where he had been for the past four years.
¢ Among those who attended the Pearson for Senator barbecue at Shawnee Mission Park were Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Schultz, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Gabriel, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Periman and Mr. and Mrs. L.R. Penner.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Boller and Eve and Virginia Murphy enjoyed a two-week vacation in the western states.

45 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
August 1961
Morse Market opened east of De Soto at the 'Y.' The market specialized in homegrown sweet corn, tomatoes, watermelon and cantaloupe.
¢ Property owners in the Luther Addition on Hill Street and one half a block of residents on Robberman Street pooled money together to keep the problem of dust to a minimum in the neighborhood. The money went toward resurfacing the street.
¢ Robert J. Camerlinke, went to Manhattan to pre-enroll at Kansas State University.

50 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
August 1956
Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Tripkos and Mrs. Beulah Wolfe sold their interests in the Midway Cafe to Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Davis.
¢ Former De Soto High School principal Albert L. Cross died in Layetteville, Ark.

60 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
August 1946
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Zimmerman of Kansas City opened a grocery store in De Soto.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Fred Brady Jr., moved to their new home near Olathe. Mr. Brady was a radio electrician at Marshall's in Olathe.
¢ Probate judge W.C. Jones was nominated for state representative at the August primary. George Abel was nominated for sheriff, countywise, and Virgil Ellis was chosen as the candidate for township trustee. Four hundred votes were cast in the city precinct.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.