Archive for Thursday, September 9, 2004

Soccer team races to 4-0 start

September 9, 2004

A pair of 10-0 wins and a come-from-behind victory in a suspended game raised the De Soto High School soccer team's record to 4-0.

Jordan Hevel and Kyle Bray led the way for De Soto Tuesday when both completed hat tricks by scoring three goals each in a 10-0 win over Atchison.

Freshman Zach England nearly pulled off the trifecta himself, but he had to settle for two scores. Brady Seaman and Spike Delapena each added a tally, helping the Wildcats get to double figure scoring in their second straight contest.

Unselfish play was the name of the game Tuesday for De Soto. The Wildcats netted assists on six of the 10 goals they scored. Seaman posted three assists, leading De Soto in that category. Hevel, Delapena and England each contributed an assist as well.

Defensively, Wildcat goalkeepers Ben Smith and Richard Tillery were stellar again. Although Smith didn't have the opportunity to make many great saves in the first half, Tillery did in the second frame, especially on one occasion.

Tillery blocked one shot when he was in a one-on-one situation. He laid himself out to get the interference and gently dropped the ball at his feet. The senior then dropped to the ground, rolled, and pounced on the ball just like it's drawn up in the playbook.

"He has great instincts," Murphy said.

For just a moment last Thursday, Eudora senior Tyler Hartpence silenced De Soto soccer fans and sent a roar through Cardinal faithful during the Wildcats' soccer win in De Soto.

But those roars soon subsided as the Wildcats rebounded for a 10-0 triumph over their Frontier league colleagues.

Hartpence appeared to give the underdog Cardinals the first lead of the game when he rifled an indirect kick over the head of Wildcat goalkeeper Smith and safely into the right corner of the goal.

The score was waved off, however, when officials ruled that the ball had not been touched on its way to the goal, keeping the 10-0 shut-out intact for Wildcat goalkeepers Smith and Richard Tillery.

Just like everybody else, Murphy thought his Wildcats were down following the play when it appeared the ball may have been touched by Wildcat senior Ben Moon.

"It probably should have been scored a goal," Murphy said. "It's all in the interpretation of the call. If the ball was touched on the way to the goal, then it's a goal. It's a matter of whether Ben touched it or not."

De Soto had good looks at the goal early in the first half but had five different players miss shots before Hartpence's apparent goal. The senior's scoring attempt was the first shot-on-goal for the Cardinals.

"We came out a little flat," Murphy said. "We have to be better in the first 15 minutes when we play against the Maranathas and KC Christians of the world. We have to do a better job of moving to the goal and finishing. That's important to us."

De Soto, which out-shot Eudora 30-4 for the game, missed high on its first four shots and on five of its first six attempts.

Hevel put De Soto on the board first when he went to his right around three defenders and scored from 20 feet in the 11th minute. The senior led the Wildcats with three goals for the game.

Hevel's first score opened the floodgates for De Soto as the Wildcats tallied six more points during the next 26 minutes, taking a commanding 7-0 advantage at halftime.

England gave the Wildcats a two-goal lead when he went around a defender, split two more, and deflected a shot off of the goalkeeper's hand and into the net.

One minute later, Delapena found a loose ball in front of the goal and ricocheted a score off of a defender, putting De Soto up 3-0.

Seaman became the fourth Wildcat to score a goal when he accurately placed a header into the net in the 21st minute of the game.

Hevel scored his second goal of the game when Delapena saved the ball from going out of bounds and drove the left baseline. The senior then dished to Hevel, who finished. Kyle Bray and Zach Bader finished off De Soto's first-half scoring with a goal apiece.

De Soto out-shot Eudora 8-0 in the second half and scored three more goals.

Hevel started the second half scoring when he broke down the middle of the field and scored from 10 feet only 14 seconds into the second stanza. Bray and England then finished off the Cardinals when they each scored.

The Wildcats rallied past Basehor-Linwood Sept. 1, getting their second victory of the year. De Soto trailed the Bobcats 2-1 in the season opener when a lightning storm delayed the outcome for nearly five days.

Before the delay, the Bobcats took a surprising 2-0 lead against the defending 4A runner-up Wildcats. But England thwarted the shutout and started the rally all at the same time when he scored his first career goal, cutting the deficit in half at 2-1.

Bader and Hevel scored the two goals Sept. 1 for De Soto in the comeback win. Austin Knipp tallied both Bobcat goals before the delay.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.