Archive for Thursday, January 15, 2004

Exploring the Past

January 15, 2004

5 years ago
January 1999
Charles Cowles, De Soto, was sentenced to nearly 7-1/2 years in prison for a July incident in which he pointed a knife at a woman.
Cowles pleaded guilty in December to kidnapping and aggravated sexual battery for the incident.
¢ The De Soto school board approved phasing in bus costs to parents beginning with the 1999-2000 school year.
Parents with students living 2.5 miles or less from their respective schools would pay one-third of the cost of busing their individual student(s) in the next school year, and total cost of busing for the 2001-2002 year and every year following.
¢ De Soto Park Board officers were Mike Nolan, chair; Vernon Brown, vice chair; Mitra Templin, secretary; and Deanna Stephens, treasurer.
¢ De Soto High School senior trombone player Jeff Beruan and junior tuba player Matt Engels were named to the Kansas Music Educators' Association all-state band.

20 years ago
January 1984
Hank and Sandy Short found upon arrival one morning that their De Soto drug store had once again been broken into during the night. There was an undisclosed amount of money and supplies taken.
The situation forced the Shorts to not only repair the damage created by the vandal but to also have several security precautions to prevent further break-ins added to their business.
¢ Jesse Childers fell and broke his leg. He went to the hospital but came home after a cast was put on the leg.
¢Janet Webb entertained the Mu Pi chapter of Beta Sigma Phi at her home. The group made plans to honor their Sweetheart Queen, Jackie Crosley.
¢ Jim and Patsy Schmotz entertained their card club. Members attending were Dave and Maggie Wilthong, George and Florence Lucas, Jim and Patsy Beadle, Ransel and Pat Campbell and Carolyn of Lenexa. High prizes were claimed by the Schmotzes.
¢ Citrus Hill orange juice was 99 cents for a 12-ounce can at AF Super of De Soto. Aunt Jemima frozen waffles were 89 cents a box. Pillsbury cake mixes were 69 cents each, and eight 16-ounce bottles of 7-Up, Diet 7-Up and Lite Cola were $1.79.
¢ De Soto High School wrestler Richard Sams claimed the heavyweight championship at the Louisburg Invitational.
Ken Smith took second in the 98-pound weight class, and Jim Etherton took fourth at 119 pounds.

36 years ago
January 1968
Pansy Penner, who was a patient in the hospital for several days, was released and resumed teaching school at the De Soto school.
¢ Fern Kercheval was an all-night guest of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Dutton at Bethel on New Year's Eve. She also spent New Year's Day there and enjoyed watching the Rose Parade on television that day.
¢ Fern Collins was making frequent trips to the Gardner hospital to visit Faun Cordell. She reported her sister slightly improved.
¢ Army Private First Class Ronald Mann, son of Mr. and Mrs. Warren Mann, De Soto, was assigned as a clerk-typist in the 20th Engineer Battalion near Pleiku, Vietnam.

49 years ago
January 1955
Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Couch returned from a holiday visit with their daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Hensley, at Fort Pierce, Fla.
¢ Harry Neal, who was a patient for some time in the Kansas University Medical Center following injuries received when he was struck by a car, re-entered the hospital again for a checkup and medical attention. Mrs. Howard Caldwell and Mrs. Charles Baker made the trip with the Neals and visited Mrs. Will Burch, who was a patient there also.
¢ Debbie Linden, small daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Linden, was painfully burned when she accidentally came into too close contact with a furnace register.

59 years ago
January 1945
Freida Plummer returned from a week's stay in Chicago where she was a guest of Frances Tripkos. She was also a guest of Mr. and Mrs. Wade Plummer, Forest Park, Ill.
¢ Mrs. Earl Ross, Mrs. Lester Hickman and Mrs. John Giebner were supper guests of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Hickman.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Homer Hughes and children moved to a new home they bought in Kansas City, Mo., so Homer could be nearer to this work at the Ford plant.
¢Mr. and Mrs. B.G. Hughes, who sold their farm four miles south of De Soto some months ago to Mr. and Mrs. Massoit Bowlin, moved to the home in Corliss just vacated by their son.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.