Archive for Thursday, December 23, 2004

Exploring the Past

December 23, 2004

15 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
December 1989
Dan Hyskell led more than 150 people in a Christmas carol sing-a-long at the Clearview City Christmas dinner.
¢ Veterans from Linden-Tripkos VFW 6654 helped with a project for the needy.
Donald Larkin was instrumental in getting the donation of gifts including toothpaste, soap and dishwashing liquid (total $1,239.32) to be distributed through the Multi-Service Center. There were 836 items which also included canned goods.
Helping with the project were Virgil Tripkos, Jim Tripkos, Roger Sellers, Larry Stephan, Bill DeBoever, Harvey Schultz, Ron McKay, Murl Nevius, Arch Bedford, Ed Hoy, Larie Davis and Bob Welch.

29 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
December 1975
Residents of the De Soto Rest Home enjoyed shopping for Christmas gifts as they strolled through the dining room assisted by nurse aides and the administrator.
The tables became counters laden with items. The Rebekahs and Y.W. Club members were responsible for the articles.
Those acting as clerks and wrapping gifts were Emily Ballance, Barbara Dickerson, Dorothy Robbins, Pansy Penner and Hazel Wright.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Midyett and Mrs. Corine Gordon from Anchorage, Alaska, called on Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Townsend.

35 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
December 1969
Rev. Lyman M. Lauver graduated from the Clinical Pastoral Educational Course at Bethany Hospital, Kansas City. Rev. Lauver graduated from Union Theological Seminary, New York, N.Y., and was serving as pastor at De Soto United Methodist Church.
¢ Mrs. Jerry Keegan was the winner of a color TV drawing held by De Soto Lions Club. The winning ticket was drawn by Mrs. Lewis Warsop at the December Lions Club meeting. Profit from the fund was used to complete a sidewalk on Second Street, just west of the business district.
¢ James R. Rush, a student at K-State College of Pittsburg, was awarded the Junior Academic Achievement Insignia scholarship medal. Cadet Rush was seeking a BA degree with a major in Spanish and a minor in history.

45 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
December 1959
Lottie Bowling and Harriet Storer sang a duet, "Star of the East," at the Pleasant Hour Club Christmas party. Dot Longstreth accompanied them on the piano. Hostesses were Jewell Manning, Jean Towner and LaDonna Schmidt.
¢ The local post office reported a heavy mail day -- both outgoing and incoming. E.J. Kenney assisted with the route and Lulu Tripkos assisted with the work at the post office.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Albert Thorp, proprietors of the Dari-Joy, closed their business for a few weeks while they enjoyed a vacation.

49 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
December 1955
Dr. M.V. Robbins and Charles Stumpff, D.V.M., attended the district meeting of the Rotary Club at Topeka.
¢ Mrs. Robert Gordon and daughters of Gardner visited Mrs. Gordon's grandmother, Mrs. Eva Moll.
¢ Dr. and Mrs. Ralph Plummer was in Topeka conducting a revival meeting for the Gage Park Baptist Church. Rev. Kenneth Swank was pastor.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Ferrell Martinson and Mr. and Mrs. L.F. Taylor went shopping in Kansas City.

52 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
December 1952
The new steel radio relay tower located about four miles north of De Soto was one link in the new microwave route between Kansas City and Dallas, Texas.
¢ Mayor Paul Earnheart reported a total collection of $2,535 from citizens for work on the streets. The city paid $2,263.54.
With the help of county commissioner L.R. Penner and county engineer M.M. Steel and about $600 paid by the city for labor and dirt hauling, the city upgraded its streets.

59 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
December 1945
Mr. and Mrs. S.R. Zook drove to East Lynne, Mo. to visit his brother, R.I. Zook and Mrs. Zook and other family and friends.
¢ Neal Hambleton started the practice of law at Olathe, where the family residence was established.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Leland Boone and son, John, visited with Nellie Hill and son, Harry.
¢ John Whitelaw traveled to Cameron, Mo., to visit his sister Mrs. Shaw, who was critically ill.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Earl Stuchbery moved to De Soto and lived in the apartments over the Turner gas station. Earl was employed at the Stuchbery Hardware Store.

62 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
December 1942
The William Morse farm south of town on Highway No. 10 was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Franklin from Kansas City.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. C.C. Atkinson purchased the property known as the Frank Johnson home.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. C.W. Morse entertained the Depression Bridge Club at their home.

76 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
December 1928
John Parker of Lawrence visited with his sister Edith Sigman.
¢ Maggie Freeman went to Wichita to visit with her daughter Mrs. A.L. Smith and Mr. Smith.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Ellsworth Douglas moved to Bonner Springs where Ellsworth has employment.
¢ Oma Dent was the guest of Katherine Penner at Lawrence.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Guy Buckingham and daughter, Fleeta, of Loring visited with their parents Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Buckingham.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.