Archive for Thursday, September 11, 2003

Exploring the Past

September 11, 2003

5 years ago
September 1998
The town of De Soto was established in the early 1900s. According to the original plat for the town, De Soto started out as a 0.15 square mile area.
The original City of De Soto included just three major streets -- First, Second and Third, and a few side streets -- Kickapoo, Ottawa, Peoria, Oak, Shawnee, Wyandotte, Delaware and Wea.
According to Cecile Culp, author of De Soto History, the building of the Sunflower Army Ammunition Plant was what formed the town of De Soto.
¢ Gene Goodman, De Soto, donated about 1,000 pounds of aluminum cans to the local Shriner's organization. The cans were given to Dale Rose, owner of Experienced Aircraft Parts and a member of the Shrine.
¢ Rachel Day, De Soto, planned to take her winning poster from 4-H to the Kansas State Fair in Hutchinson. Her poster dealt with the reasons why butter was better than margarine.
Day won a purple ribbon for the poster in the 4-H judging and the grand prize ribbon for best of all posters submitted in the 10 to 12 age group. She also won a special achievement award from the American Dairy Association.

32 years ago
September 1971
De Soto High School cheerleaders attended cheerleading camp at Rock Springs Ranch. Varsity members were Donna Holsinger, Shirley Coffman, Cheryl Sipe, Janet Swaim, Vickie Rush, Debbie Nalley and Patti Flinn.
Junior varsity cheerleaders were Sandy Roles, Lana Price, Kim Schmidt and Tina Tripkos. The group achieved one honorable mention, two outstanding, and one excellent rating at the cheerleading camp near Junction City.
¢ Men's softball tournaments took place in De Soto. The De Soto team won first place, and Sunflower's team took second. Ray Varnell had been coach for the De Soto team the past six years.
Members of the De Soto team were Ronnie McDaniels, Bill Rhodd, Dick Green, Don Davis, Garry Hoffman, Eldon Brown, Boots Cowan, Larry Motzkus, Arlen Gabriel, Walt McDaniel, Jerry Hickey, Bub Schmidt and Harvey Shultz.
¢ Wilma Mann, wife of the local Rotary Club president, had a reception in her home for Lucile Butler, wife of the District Governor. The guests were Anns from the De Soto club.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Stan Sims, Paul Lee Penner, Sandy Roles, Rick Penner, Donnie Weese, Carol Lee and Mr. and Mrs. Russell Whited attended the motorcycle races at the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia.

45 years ago
September 1958
Delbert Gardner, who had taken basic training at the Great Lakes Naval Base, was on furlough and visited his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Maynerd Gardner.
¢ Gary Brown, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alva Brown, fell from a swing on the school playground and broke his right arm.
¢ Mayor Virgil Ellis, who had been laid up at various times during the summer, was confined to his bed again.
¢ Officers of the Petticoat Poppers Square Dance group were Lewis Keegan, president; Charles Schmidt, vice president; Wayne Dibble, treasurer; and Leona Morse, secretary.

55 years ago
September 1948
Shirley Mize spent the weekend with Patty Whiting at Independence, Mo.
¢ Annabelle Cox was an employee at the De Soto State Bank.
¢ Hazel Wright was recovering from a siege with the mumps.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Earl Lehman and daughter Wilma spent Labor Day with Mr. and Mrs. Harold Sheldon south of Eudora.
¢ School began with a total enrollment of 689. There were 117 students at the high school; 140 at De Soto Elementary; and 432 at Sunflower.

72 years ago
September 1931
The grade school in De Soto opened with an enrollment of 67. The teachers were Myrtle Watson, seventh and eighth; Orville Hemphill, fourth, fifth and sixth; and Ruth Averill, first, second and third.
¢ Dorothy Watson left for Chicago, where she took up nurse's training at Michael Reese Hospital. Orville Crawford replaced her as Sunday School secretary of the Methodist church.
¢ The home of Mr. and Mrs. Bill Bennett in Corliss burned to the ground. The Bennetts were not home at the time of the fire.
¢ Much work was being done on Highway 10 on the Mayberry Hill and in front of the W.H. Dent and L.L. Corliss homes.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.