Archive for Thursday, July 10, 2003

EXPLORING THE PAST

De Soto history

July 10, 2003

5 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO EXPLORER
July 1998
The De Soto School Board voted to accept bids totaling $12,862,266 for construction of the new high school in the eastern part of the district. That school was to open in 2000. The bond issue budgeted amount was $13,329,200. Alternate bids accepted in the bid included a wrestling room; 113 additional parking spaces; upgrade of the partitions in the women's restrooms; lighting controls; and Kohler fixtures. The alternate items were bid separately so they could be rejected if the cost was too high.
¢ Bob Hathcock, public works director for the City of De Soto, resigned from his post. He had worked for the city for about two years and took a job near St. Louis.
¢ De Soto resident Charles Tankersley made a donation valued at $3,500 to Abbott Hall, the local museum. The donation consisted of a solid walnut hand-carved loveseat and lounge chair, rug and floor lamps. He gave the donation in memory of his wife, Alicia.
¢ The De Soto City fireworks show in Miller Park lasted about 20 minutes. The show was free to the public and cost $4,300. The De Soto Chamber of Commerce donated $500 to the show's production.
¢ De Soto students Lauren Click and Chad Hayden attended the Senior Division of Midwestern Music Camp at Kansas University. The camp included a comprehensive study of full symphony orchestra, choirs, bands, jazz ensembles, music literature and music theory.

32 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
July 1971
The Kansas State Forestry Department donated an ambulance to the De Soto Rescue Unit.
¢ Nadine Blaylock was appointed to the Park Board.
¢ Vernon Welch, who had been employed by the Ford Motor Company at Claycomo for the past 37 years, retired.
¢ Twenty members and one visitor, Louis Ensley (De Soto's Oklahoma rotarian), were present for the installation of new officers for the Rotary Club. Floyd Talley was installing officer, placing the following in their positions for the new year: Warren Mann, president; Archie Bedford, vice president; Bill Smith, secretary; Floyd Talley, treasurer; and Dick Lauffer and Charles Stumpff, directors.
¢ Carol and Sheryl McMillian, daughters of Mr. and Mrs. H.K. McMillian had the mumps. They had been more or less indisposed since school closed with colds, strep throats and mumps.
¢ Jerry Skaggs, riding double with Eugene Casebolt of Sunflower on his bicycle, was struck by a car as the boys were on their way to work. They had summer employment with the Youth Core. Jerry broke his leg and was at Research Hospital in Kansas City. Eugene had only minor injuries.
¢ Carl Payton was home visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Payton, for a week. He was in the Navy Air Force and was stationed at Kingsville, Texas. He was a plane captain and worked in an electrician's shop.

45 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
July 1958
City officials had 500 pamphlets printed pertaining to Ordinance 219, which dealt with laws relative to traffic and vehicles in the city.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Norbert Mize and son, Frank, returned from a trip to Kalamazoo, Mich.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Oelschlaeger and their two children of Bonner Springs visited in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Oelschlaeger.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Blaine Rattles, formerly of De Soto, and living in Linwood, visited old friends and neighbors.

55 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
July 1948
The businessmen of De Soto
were sponsoring free movie shows on the street. The events were well-attended and enjoyed by the public.
¢ Mrs. John Taylor, Mrs. Homer Hughey and Miss Eva Jane Taylor were visitors in Lawrence.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Eldon Manning drove to Lawrence to meet her mother, Mrs. Price of Nash, Okla. It was Mrs. Nash's first visit since Winston came into the family.
¢ The long-closed overpass just west of town would not be opened the first of July, however, foot passengers could use the bridge.

72 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
July 1931
The Oddfellows had its county meeting in Stanley. Seventeen Oddfellows and Rebekahs were in attendance from De Soto.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Homer Orrick and son, Bobby, and Mrs. Bob Hedrick and children returned from a pleasure trip to Fort Worth, Dallas and other Texas points.
¢ Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rhodes sold their place on Third and Kickapoo streets to Charles Freeman. The Rhodes' rented the Wagner house (old John Hiddleston home) and planned to look after their farm interests near there.
¢ Pork chops were 30 cents per pound at Kraus' Grocery.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.