Archive for Thursday, July 3, 2003

Exploring the past

July 3, 2003

15 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO WEEKLY NEWS
July 1988

Local businesses contributed about $1,400 to the De Soto Alumni Scholarship fund.
¢ Susan McCabe, De Soto Project Finish instructor, received an award for Adult Educator of the Year.
¢ Esther Cross and three of her granddaughters, Angela Moon, Erika Hecke and LeAnn Hecke, returned home after an 11-day trip to Hawaii.
¢ Christie Peterson, a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority at Kansas State University, ranked first in grade point average among the second consecutive semester.
¢ Dane Petersen attended the Kansas Regents Honors Academy at Kansas State University.

28 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
July 1975

Harold Vestal was appointed as superintendent of the De Soto School District.
¢ The land given to the City of De Soto by the U.S. government was named Wilderness Park.
¢ The De Soto High School class of 1925 was honored at the annual alumni reunion. Class members in attendance were Shirley Atkinson Moffitt, Bernice Knight, Clarence Reid, Thelma Murphy Quaintance, Homer Hughes and Herbert Sheldon.

36 year ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
July 1967

Members of the Class of 1957 celebrating their 10-year reunion were Jim Carpenter, Bob Hill, Rosemary McAninch, Ken and Pat Warsop, Sue Stuckey, JoAnn Thompson, Mary Lee, Delbert Gardner, Jerry Nalley, Frank Huffman, Shirley Taylor, Larry Emmett, Fred Wilson, Carroll Beach, Dick Reinwald, JoAnne Graham Meyers and John Plumb.
¢ Carmen Stuck returned home after touring the Scandinavian countries and England with relatives from Bergen, Norway.
¢ Lawrence L. Delana was the winner of a micro electronic radio with clock given away by Clear-Vu Covers and Campers.
¢ A contract for $26,638,735 for miscellaneous propellants was awarded by the Army for work at the Sunflower Ordnance Plant.

61 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
July 1942
Less than two months after the Hercules Powder Company established its office in Lawrence, the company moved to the second administration building erected at the Sunflower Ordnance Plant.
¢ The location chosen for the De Soto United Methodist Church to be moved from Prairie Center district was the lot owned by the Taylor Mercantile Company on east Shawnee Street leading to the high school.
¢ The graves of the Lexington Cemetery were moved to a plot of ground that has been recently added to the De Soto Cemetery.

76 years ago
FROM THE DE SOTO NEWS
July 1927
Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Jewett, Mrs. David Jewett and Althea Jewett went to Kansas City, where Althea entered nursing training at Bell Hospital.
¢ Pearl Trout and Fern Blevin came home for the summer to visit family during their break from school in Pittsburg.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.