Archive for Thursday, November 1, 2001

Old nemesis halts Wildcats’ state run

Late Lansing goal ends De Soto’s season

November 1, 2001

Laying it all on the line, De Soto put the Ka-Thud in Lansing's high-powered offense in the Kansas 4A soccer quarterfinals at Lansing Tuesday night.

But Lansing, like all great teams do, found a way to pull out a 2-1 squeaker and advance to the semifinals in Manhattan.

The Wildcats packed in their defense in hopes of making traffic difficult for the Lions to run their offense. And it worked, especially in the first half.

But senior midfielder Dan Bishop assured Lansing another rung on the state championship ladder when he drew De Soto goal keeper, Harley Mostaffa, out of the goal and scored with 19.5-seconds remaining in regulation to give the Lions a 2-1 win.

Despite the goal, Mostaffa played a solid and sometimes spectacular game. The senior was credited with 13 saves in goal. Mostaffa frustrated Lansing all evening with some incredible diving saves.

"He played a great game," said De Soto coach Mike Murphy of his star goal keeper. "His heart was in it."

De Soto put a few moans into the Lansing crowd when Kyle Bray finished off a deflection of a Tyler Maniez shot with 6:47 remaining in the game to tie the score at 1-1.

Just a couple weeks ago De Soto was bombed 9-0 by this same Lansing team who carries an 18-0 record to Manhattan.

Of De Soto's seven losses this season, three were to Lansing by a combined 15-2 scoring margin.

But Lansing was held scoreless for the first 55:32 of the game. "We overcame a lot of obstacles this season," said senior Dave Moore. "This was a different team than the one they (Lansing) played a couple of weeks ago."

According to Murphy, De Soto did have its chances during the game.

"We had a shot spin off of their (Lansing) goal keeper in the first half, but no one was there to finish the goal," said Murphy. "We were also called for being offside. If our guy had faked a pass and gone to his right we would have possibly had him one-on-one with the goal keeper."

To the quarterfinals, De Soto had to get by Topeka Hayden with a 1-0 win.

Sophomore Jesse Smith was all the offense the Wildcats needed. His goal came with just under 28 minutes remaining in the contest.

"They were trash talking," said Smith. "And it all built up. I did a step over and the ball just bent into the goal."

The Wildcats, 11-7-1, were out shot 46-20 in the two games.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.