Share Life, Share Love Organ and Tissue Transplant Seminar
- When: Friday, April 6, 2012, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Where: Johnson County Community College, Overland Park
- Cost: Not available
- Age limit: Not available
- Categories: Community, Health All
Stories of giving and receiving will highlight the organ and tissue transplant seminar “Share Life, Share Love” on Friday, April 6, at Johnson County Community College. The seminar is free, and the public is encouraged to attend. Events will be held in Hudson Auditorium, in the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art on the JCCC campus.
The seminar schedule will be as follows:
· 10-11:30 a.m.: Cultural and ethnic aspects of organ and tissue transplant. Isaac Ruffin, family services and minority donation coordinator, Midwest Transplant Network (MWTN), will moderate.
· 1-3:30 p.m.: Clinical aspects of organ and tissue transplant.
Sarah Oland, transplant coordinator, University of Kansas Medical Center, will present.
· 4-5 p.m.: Personal experiences.
A donor mother and a tissue recipient will share their experiences after a short video on the subject.
· 5-6 p.m.: Reception.
· 6-8 p.m.: Keynote speaker.
Michael Nolte, author of “Burned, But Not Broken” will share his story of being the uncle of a donor and then a recipient of bone and tissue transplants less than a year later.